I wish I could be my childrens shadow, and follow their footsteps with them each day? As I am doing the dishes or the laundry; what happiness, what sadness, what dilemmas are they facing at that moment in time? I know I cannot be with them every second of everyday, and I know I cannot baby them forever. How do I let them go but still be with them when I'm not? Are all my parental messages following them like a shadow, and when they need me, I'm already there? I'd like to think that this is what happens. I'd like to think that this shadow is like an armor and the bad influences from the outside world will just bounce off. I'd like to think that this shadow of me follows them throughout their day. When my children are offered drugs or alcohol, will this shadow help them to resist this temptation? When they are bullied by another child, will this shadow help them use their words rather than their fists? And when a bully uses force against my children, can that shadow help them know when to defend themselves? When they are approached by a stranger that means them harm, will this shadow help them to know that they are in danger? I wish for just one day that I could follow each of them as they go through a typical day. Just one day to feel what they feel, do what they do, see what they see. How is it all different from when I was their age? Is it harder to grow up these days, or is it basically the same kind of kid stuff that we had to deal with? Metal detectors, video cameras, and school shootings are a normal scene on any given newscast these days. I don't remember seeing this much school drama and violence in the media when I was in elementary school. How can I shield them from all of this? What will make them choose not to drink or do drugs? How will they get up the courage to stand up for themselves? What will keep them on the right track and help them to become a good hearted person? The values that I instill in my children are their protectors. A shadow of knowledge and morals shielding them from these complicated issues that they have to face out there in this crazy world. Thursday, February 7, 2008
My children's shadow!
I wish I could be my childrens shadow, and follow their footsteps with them each day? As I am doing the dishes or the laundry; what happiness, what sadness, what dilemmas are they facing at that moment in time? I know I cannot be with them every second of everyday, and I know I cannot baby them forever. How do I let them go but still be with them when I'm not? Are all my parental messages following them like a shadow, and when they need me, I'm already there? I'd like to think that this is what happens. I'd like to think that this shadow is like an armor and the bad influences from the outside world will just bounce off. I'd like to think that this shadow of me follows them throughout their day. When my children are offered drugs or alcohol, will this shadow help them to resist this temptation? When they are bullied by another child, will this shadow help them use their words rather than their fists? And when a bully uses force against my children, can that shadow help them know when to defend themselves? When they are approached by a stranger that means them harm, will this shadow help them to know that they are in danger? I wish for just one day that I could follow each of them as they go through a typical day. Just one day to feel what they feel, do what they do, see what they see. How is it all different from when I was their age? Is it harder to grow up these days, or is it basically the same kind of kid stuff that we had to deal with? Metal detectors, video cameras, and school shootings are a normal scene on any given newscast these days. I don't remember seeing this much school drama and violence in the media when I was in elementary school. How can I shield them from all of this? What will make them choose not to drink or do drugs? How will they get up the courage to stand up for themselves? What will keep them on the right track and help them to become a good hearted person? The values that I instill in my children are their protectors. A shadow of knowledge and morals shielding them from these complicated issues that they have to face out there in this crazy world. Posted by Wendy at 5:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment