I am so lucky to have a supportive partner and family, so I am able to go to school and eventually get a good paying job. Financial aid is also very helpful. It was not long ago that I was a single mother of two children, I see so many single mothers that are stuck on the low income roller coaster. Most have to support themselves and their children on state assistance and what ever low paying job they can get their hands on. Trying to get the fathers to pay child support is a losing battle, they are afraid to get involved with another man, forced to work a low paying job, just to put food on the table and not much else. Most are not close to their families, so they are alone when it comes to help in caring for the children in order for her to pay any attention to herself. Forget about trying to get into college! I actually tried that in 2004, when I was single with two kids, and I never made it to a classroom. I was up at 5:30am, after getting the kids to daycare, I was at work at 7am. My workday ended at 3:30pm, and off to pick up the kids. If I chose to attend those classes, I would have had to get a babysitter from 5pm to 8pm. That is a whole day without seeing my kids, and I would have been paying everyone else to raise my children.
This is now my chance to find out what makes me happy and eventually get paid for it. Hopefully attending school will show my children that where we are now is not where they have to be in the future. Maybe they will learn from my mistakes, and get it right from the beginning. I can see that if I do not stay on this road and take the time to further my education now, I will forever stay in an unhappy way of life and how are my children going to benefit from that.
1 comments:
Wendy,
I want you to know You are the best mom I know. Even though a good paying job helps financially you really don't need it. You all ready give them everything by loving them so much and taking care of them. Just remember money isn't everything. I enjoy readying your blogs and will read them everyday. Even though we don't see each other a lot I want you to know I am here for you. Love you
Post a Comment